Castle Hill Training News and Updates
Insect stings are painful but not usually dangerous. However, sometimes they can trigger anaphylactic shock which is a severe allergic reaction and will require immediate medical attention.
Signs of an Insect Sting
If you can see the sting carefully scrape it off the skin with the edge of plastic card (like a credit card). Don’t use tweezers or your fingers to grip the sting and pull it out as you will inject more toxin into the casualty.
Put something cold like an ice pack on to the stung area to reduce the swelling and if possible elevate the part of the body that is affected. If the pain or swelling persists call 111 for medical advice.
If the sting is in the mouth give the casualty an ice cube to suck on or sips of cold water.
When to Call for an Ambulance?
If the casualty has any difficulty breathing.
If you notice signs of a severe allergic reaction (especially swelling of the lips, face or neck ).
If the casualty presents pale cold clammy skin and feels sick/dizzy/thirsty.